Sunday, May 6, 2012

From the Heart and Kelsey's Recital

What a weekend it has been! On Friday evening we went to the spaghetti supper for the From the Heart fundraiser. There were a bunch of games for kids and a yummy meal to get us geared up for the 5k the following day. Plus, my dad and Chris arrived at our house to spend the weekend with us. Saturday morning we got up bright and early and headed out to the 5k and half marathon. This year my dad joined the race and ran the half marathon while Stacey, Chris, Vickie, Jolene, Diane and I did the 5k. The walk benefited two local people who have cancer. As always, I was emotional watching how people in this community came together with an outpouring of love to support these individuals with cancer. It was extra special watching my dad complete the half marathon. And to top it off, Diane, Stacey, and I ran 2 of the 3 miles of the 5k this year. None of us trained and were quite surprised that we could run that far. Nice work, ladies! It was a less than desirable morning as the temps were cool, it was raining off and on, and it was windy. But my dad showed his true runner's spirit and finished the the half marathon. What an inspiration he is! Oh, and I need to give a shout out to my brother for completing his first half marathon as well this weekend. Next year we need to time it so we can all run at the same place! More pictures to come after I get some from those who had their camera there :)
The sign I made for my mom that was placed on the race course.

Looking ready for the race
 Afterward, we headed to Dave and Vickie's to freshen up and get ready for Kelsey's dance recital! This year she danced alone and did so wonderful! I was beaming from ear to ear watching her show off her moves. She knew her stuff and is quite the little dancer.





The remainder of the day was spent relaxing, playing, eating, napping, and just plain old catching up with everyone. We were all exhausted from the hub bub of the day and this lady fell asleep early with Kelsey. From what I hear, I missed quite the game of Farkle! Sunday morning we went to breakfast with my dad and Chris before they took off for home. I love when they visit. More than that, I just love seeing my dad. Even at age 30, I still get sad and teary eyed when we part ways. Our time together is so special to me. Kelsey and I do something called "pillow talk" before she goes to sleep and she told me both Friday and Saturday nights that her favorite part of the day was seeing Grandpa Larry and Grandma Chris. What a sweetie.

Kelsey has her last dance recital tonight before we are back to school and daycare tomorrow. The countdown to summer is officially started and I cannot wait until Monday mornings are relaxed and carefree and Sunday evenings are not dreaded. Until then, this momma better get things ready for the week!

No comments: