Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas in Minnesota


Every other year we rotate which family we will spend Christmas with. This was our year to be in Owatonna. For Christmas Eve, we went to Dave and Vickie's to celebrate with our immediate Skala Family. We began by opening a few gifts and then played games before dinner. Next, we ate a delicious meal of steak and shrimp. During dinner, it is a Skala tradition for everyone to make a toast. It is always a nice way to reflect on the past and look forward to the new year. After dinner, it was time for more presents and games. To conclude the evening, we all went to 10:00pm mass. It was a beautiful service. There is something about the church being decorated and the choir singing that seems to set a very comforting mood. Little Kelsey must not have wanted to miss anything because she hardly slept all day.
She was quite the trooper!
On Christmas Day, we celebrated with Matt's mom's side of the family. It was the first year without Grandpa Ebeling. I think both Grandpa and Grandma Ebeling would be so happy to see that their family was together for the holiday. We again had great food and great company.
Finally, we had the big Skala get together. Matt's dad has 10 siblings, and all but one made it. With all the kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids, it is quite the crew! I am not sure how we managed to keep eating, but of course, there was tons of wonderful food! Whenever the Skala side gets together, I always try to make a point of talking to Matt's grandpa. He is such a sweet man. I have grown so fond of him since I have been in the family. He loves to tell me story after story about his past, and I love listening to him. Even the stories he has told me many times never get old.
Matt, Kelsey and I did manage to find time to celebrate with just the three of us as well. It was fun dressing Kelsey up in her Christmas dress. I think she was sick of those tights by the end though. However, she will need to tough it out one more time because we are headed to Pulaski to celebrate with my family.

No comments: